When I tell people that I'm a wedding photographer the usual response goes something like -
Whatever pays the bills, right?
But you're actually a fine art photographer, you just shoot weddings for money!
Oh, weddings eh *silence* (yes I live in Canada and we do say eh)
I hate that there is this underlying consensus that wedding photographers do what they do because they are stuck, because they don't have a choice, because this isn't really what their passion is, because wedding photography is OBVIOUSLY the shittiest genre of photography to be in.
Let me tell you what my days are like, as a wedding photographer.
1. Every day is different.
2. I am an entrepreneur. I get to be my own boss lady and make my own decisions. I don't have to ask anyone for permission to shit, piss, eat, drink, take vacation - NOTHING. I work anywhere from 80 to 100 hours a week but on my terms and for my benefit.
3. I constantly satisfy my desire to create and express myself in the medium I love the most.
4. I meet new people all the time.
5. Very often I get to photograph 1 or 2 people intimately - this allows for a huge space of trust and openness where deep conversations come to life. I so often get to quench my thirst for meaningful conversations that leave me feeling inspired and fascinated.
6. The more I develop my business and narrow down my target market to a specific niche, the more the type of people I call my clients become people who have the same values and interests as me. We become friends.
7. So now, not only do I feel a kinship for my clients and we go beyond that vendor-client relationship, but I get to witness and celebrate their weddings which is one of the most important moments in their lives. I get to experience it in a way that nobody else gets to - from beginning to end.
8. I get to travel. Next year alone I have three destination weddings.
9. I feel that I have a network of photographers who care, support and raise one another tremendously. This feeling of community is so special to me.
10. I don't want to go to sleep because I am so excited about my work and want to keep working. I jump out of bed in the morning because I'm so excited for my day to begin.
So there you have it. I'm a wedding photographer and I am absolutely bewitched my job. I am not temporarily here to earn a few quick bucks. I have a choice and I choose to photograph weddings. Wedding photography is not something I strived to learn but it is a job that I very quickly fell in love with. It's a difficult and stressful job but one that truly gives me purpose. My job forces me to be very self aware of who I am and what I want to become. It forces me to face my fears. It forces me to make grown up decisions. It forces me to keep learning and keep challenging myself. It makes me a better person.
How does your job make you feel? *mic drop*